Celebrate National Tartan Day and Honor Americans of Scottish Descent
April 6 is National Tartan Day. It’s a holiday that occurs each year to recognize proud Americans of Scottish descent and Scotland’s important contributions in the United States.
There will be numerous celebrations across the country leading up to National Tartan Day, such as parades, bagpipe players plus Scotch whisky tastings. Of course, great tasting Scotch Whisky is the perfect drink to help you have fun and enjoy this honored holiday.
Laphroaig® Single Malt Scotch Whisky is well recognized whisky brand and known as the most richly flavoured Scotch Whisky found anywhere. Below is a delicious cocktail recipe we hope you will enjoy on National Tartan Day.
Laphroaig® Affinity ingredients:
– 1 1⁄2 parts Laphroaig® Quarter Cask Scotch Whisky
– 1⁄2 part Sweet Vermouth
– 1⁄2 part Dry Vermouth
– 2-3 dashes Orange Bitters
Method: Stir all ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled rocks glass. Garnish with an orange peel.
We have gathered some interesting, Scottish heritage facts to share with others who may be celebrating National Tartan Day.
• The U.S. Senate passed a bill resolution in 1998, naming April 6th as National Tartan Day. The reason that particular date was chosen wa because it was the anniversary of the Declaration of Arbroath, which was signed in 1320 and asserted Scotland’s sovereignty over English claims.
• Across the U.S., there are eight towns named Edinburgh, eight that are named Aberdeen, and seven named Glasgow. IN addition, eight towns are called Scotland.
• The world’s first color photograph was of a Tartan ribbon.
• Americans of Scotch descent number over 5 million people. Several well known names include: Lucille Ball, Reese Witherspoon, Lyndon B. Johnson, Edgar Allen Poe, Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Cash, and surprisingly – Malcolm X.
So enjoy this special day in Scottish heritage and drink up with a glass of Laphroaig® Affinity
If you have always desired to visit Scotland, contact The Life of Luxury and we can help put together a wonderful luxury travel itinerary to make your trip a memorable one. Follow our luxury blog for the latest luxury news.